Monday, June 18, 2012

Down to the finish!

Hello everyone!

We are coming down to the wire in the school year and our registration period. Today I made a visit to Mrs. Deloreto's class at Vinton school. That was the last class to have a formal presentation about the program :( 

So, if you are coming on board get your registration in - use the online form. We would like to confirm that every student registered has a working parent email so when we begin on July 1 we are all set.

Now that is the business part, let me tell you an exciting story. Today I had to to drive from Southeast School to Vinton School over Browns Road. As I got towards the bottom of Browns Road I saw a shape outside my car window to my left on the driver's side. It was a red tailed hawk gliding along going down the hill. Now the hawk was gliding a little faster than my car and in a couple of seconds it was out in front by about 10 car lengths. It then spread its wings and extended its talons and dropped onto the grass on the left side of the road. It kind of "bounced" into the grass with its talons outstretched and flew back up and away. I had witnessed a hawk hunting for food and attacking some small creature. I did not see if it had picked up anything as when it turned to fly away it had its wings turned so that  could not see if it had anything in its grasp. But what an exciting moment. I had never seen a hawk attack so close up to see exactly how a hawk does it. It is great to live in a part of the world where every once in a while you get to see nature in all of it's glory.

Mr. Sokoloski


No comments:

Post a Comment